Dr. Siddhartha G. Dastidar’s book, “Capital Markets and Investments: Essential Insights and Concepts for Professionals,” is an advanced book that discusses the inner workings of markets. One of the selling points about this book is how it would require a minimal background of expertise in the subject matter. Apart from explaining advanced market mechanics, it also delves into the fundamentals of financial institutions, financial instruments, and briefly touches upon upcoming developments in the industry.
About the Author
Dr. Siddhartha Ghosh Dastidar is an Associate Professor at Columbia University and has taught at the Graduate School of Business and the Department of Industrial Engineering & Operations Research. He teaches courses on capital markets and investment to full-time graduate and undergraduate students, and also in the executive education program.
Sid has nearly two decades of experience in the financial services industry, both buy-side and sell-side, across asset classes and regions. As part of the Quantitative Portfolio Strategy team at Lehman Brothers and Barclays Capital in New York, he has advised large institutional clients on portfolio construction, management, and risk budgeting issues.
Table of Contents
- The Financial System – Introduction
- Major Asset Classes and Markets
- The Anatomy of the Sell Side
- Overview of Buy Side Firms
- Indices, Benchmarking, Risk Models, and Performance Evaluation
- Topical Issues in Capital Markets
- Introduction to Bonds – Treasury Pricing and Institutional Details
- Factors Affecting Treasury Bond Prices
- Further Topics in Interest Rate Markets
- Other Fixed Income Markets
- Equities – Valuation
- Portfolio Theory, Asset Allocation and Factor Models
- Introduction to Options
- Options Valuation
- Return – Concepts and Calculation
- Introduction to Financial Statements – Concepts of Capital Structure
- Macroeconomics Primer
- Basic Statistics and Data Analysis
- Introduction to the Bloomberg Software/ Terminal